- Book flights and accommodation (or car hire) together – many airlines have cheaper seats available for passengers who also booked a room or car hire at their destination. Combine this with a hotel deal and a significant amount can be saved.
- If possible take a ‘summer holiday’ in June or September - flight prices increase during the school holidays, so head out in shoulder season, when many hotels have fantastic deals and flights are discounted, to save money. This year, flights will be much more affordable after the Olympics.
- Check the small print on travel insurance - many insurance companies won’t cover for accidents after an alcoholic drink or two, and customers may have to pay extra to have luggage insured against loss by an airline.
- Consider low season – as an example, low season in the Maldives starts on 1 May and there are some great deals to be found such as seven nights for the price of five. Although May is the start of the rainy season, in reality the sun is still out and days tend to be dry while rain falls at night, or there are short rain showers which will quickly dry up.
- Explore European cities for less on a cruise - stopping at up to six different ports in a week, a Mediterranean cruise is a convenient way to explore fantastic cities with minimal hassle. All meals are usually included too, saving even more money.
- Escape the tourist areas for a better cultural experience - instead of staying with the crowds on Copacabana or Ipanema beach in Rio, stay in the bohemian centre of the city, Santa Teresa. Here, it is much cheaper and there are great boutique hotels, arty locals, cool restaurants, shops, independent bars and spectacular views of the city.
- Use a tour operator - not only can a reputable tour operator offer great rates and advice on complex or multi-centre trips, it’s handy to have someone to call in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong. Check for the ABTA and ATOL logos on brochures and websites: booking through companies with these, such as us at DialAFlight, means your money is safe.
- Pack swimming gear in your hand luggage -offon a beach holiday? It’s not unheard of for people to lose luggage, or their luggage be delayed and shops in hotels are often expensive. That way, if your flight arrives before your scheduled time, or your porter isn’t as fast as you at reaching your hotel room, you can be pool-ready in no time.
- Opt for All-Inclusive for families -this board option eliminates extra costs such as ice creams for the kids and those all-important cocktails for adults too!
- When it comes to hotels and flights, always, always, book early to ensure the best choice of accommodation to suit your requirements. Many hotels also offer fantastic savings for early bookers. Booking early also means you’ll have the best choice of flight times, particularly on popular routes.
We organise more than 450,000 holidays each year around the world, from city breaks and beach holidays to once-in-a-lifetime tours, safaris and ski trips, so we’re well placed to offer advice with over 32 years’ operating in travel and a combined 3,000 years’ experience from our well-travelled advisors.
To book a holiday or for more advise call one of our knowledgeable and friendly advisors on 0844 556 6060.